The Varsity Pitch Competition rewards UK students and recent graduate entrepreneurs who have enterprising ideas that they wish to turn into viable businesses; enabling participants to showcase their unique, creative ideas to the wider community. Entrants must be either a current student at a UK university or college or an individual who has graduated after 2013.
The business/idea must be the entrants’ own idea and/or an idea that they are free to disclose. Additionally, entrants must be able to own and run a business or social enterprise in the UK and be at least 16 years of age.
The award categories for 2018 are as follows:
- TATA Disruptive – This category is for businesses where the product or service is making improvements to the market in unexpected ways.
- TATA Social Impact – This category is for businesses that are ethically conscious.
- Genuine Innovation – This category is intended for those who can demonstrate unique ideas and ways of doing things.
- Creative & Design – This category is intended for those who are involved in the creative industries.
- Digital and Technical – This category is intended to support digital business ideas such as apps, hardware or online products.
- Ideas – This category is intended for those with a brand new idea that has the potential to be the next “big thing”.
Applicants should submit a 60 second video outlining the business idea. These videos will be then be judged by experts during the shortlisting process.
Category semi-finals will take place later in the year, with businesses from each category being chosen to present a two minute pitch to a panel of mentors. The final will take place during Global Entrepreneurship Week and the winner will receive £10,000 for their start-up.
The next deadline for this scheme is midday on Friday 27 July 2018. Further information from Grantfinder